NSE has designed a very good course and certificate exams for those interested about stock market. For a mere 500/- you can enroll yourself for the online exams (held every saturday), get the printed version of well designed books and get the certificate.
Internationally Gems are generally weighted in CARATS. Carat being a measure of weight which means on metric scale 200 milligrams. This is a standard system and is recognized worldwide.
However, in India, though for business dealings carat is being used, but for retail sales the traditional concept of ‘RATTI’ is still in use. Ratti is approximately 182 milligrams. In few areas 120 milligrams is said to be a Ratti. (so a ratti can be 0.9 carat or 0.6 carat depending on where do u live)
Similarly the Bigah (length) and cents (area) vary from state to state… and worse a lot of the government’s land records are in these unstandardized units of measurement… Why does not ISI (Indian Standards Institute) goes ahead and standardizes these units… or abolish it… lest they create confusion.
BTW guys you might also like Carl Sagan’s audio documentary Pale Blue Dot
I always believed that India is a big nosy neighbor who makes the life of its neighbors a mess… but looks like Manmohan Singh has finally proved me wrong.
1) First he signed a FTA with Srilanka then with several other SE Asian countries esp Singapore in June 2005
2) Then today taking the country by the surprise, today we signed a historic treaty. India would not only be leasing the airbase of Kalaikunda. Who could believe that in the sleepy village of West Bengal (just cycling distance away from IIT Kharagpur), we will be training foreign pilots… its like our own Top Gun school.
Do you guys think that CPI which protested about Indo-US naval joint exercise so strongly at Visakhapatnam will do the same this time also?
Recently everybody is crying that Rupee (INR) is getting stronger and that is hurting not only the exporters but Indian Industries that compete against imported goods. But is it really the case?
If you look at the graph of INR vs Euro (or any other major international currency) for the past 2 years:
Here is a link to an interesting video about what all a Blind boy can do.
I found this article really interesting.
* The Australian aborigine language has over 30 words for “dust”
* Founded in 1928, Motorola was a pioneer in car radios. It’s name was originally a combination of motor (for motor car) and ola (implying sound)
* Te term bank teller originated during the 1929 stock market crash, when banks began hiring low-paid workers to tell throngs of frantic depositors that their money was gone
* Hilton was first international hotel chain. It opened the Caribe Hilton in San Huan. Peuto Rico in 1949.
* Nokia is named afetr a place in southern Finland. The company founded by Fredrik Idelstam in 1865 was established in Nokia as pulp mill for paper making.
* Sony’s first Trinitron color TV got an Emmy award, the first for a product in early 1970s
* The world’s three most powerful brand name are Google ($66 billion), GE ($62 billion) and Microsoft ($55 billion) according to Millward Brown, a market research firm
* The time spent deleting spam costs United States business about $21.6 billion annually
* The noun”sled” (sledge) originated from name of an 18th century mountaineer from Finland, Scheltz Linden frozen to death and whose body was used by his climbing partner to slide down a mountain during a winter Strom
* Small business make up over an half (52 %) of US gross domestic products
* With the increase in the sheer volume of internet traffic, the friction of electrons passing around the planet has increased the global temperature by 0.07 degree.
“It was my 30th birthday and I wasn’t feeling too great when I woke up that morning.
I went down to breakfast knowing my wife would be pleasant and say “Happy Birthday” and probably have a present for me.
She didn’t even say “Good Morning,” let alone “Happy Birthday.”
I figured, “Well, that’s wives for you. The children will remember.” The children came down to breakfast and didn’t say a word.
When I started to the office I was feeling pretty low and despondent. As I walked into my office, my secretary Janet said, “Good Morning, Boss, Happy Birthday.”
I felt a little better – at least someone had remembered.
I worked until noon, then Janet knocked on my door and said, “You know, it is such a beautiful day outside and it’s your birthday, let’s go to lunch, just you and me.”
I said, “That’s the greatest thing I’ve heard all day. Let’s go.
We went to lunch. We didn’t go where we normally go. We went out into the country to a little private place. We had two martinis and enjoyed lunch tremendously.
On the way back to the office, she said, “You know, it is such a beautiful day, we don’t need to go back to the office, do we?” I said, “No, I guess not.” She said, “Let’s go to my apartment.”
After arriving at her apartment, she smiled at me and said, “If you don’t mind, I think I’ll go into the bedroom and slip into something more comfortable.”
Mad at my wife for forgetting about my birthday, not to mention that Janet was quite beautiful, I felt justified in staying. “Sure,” I
She went into the bedroom and, after a few minutes, she came out carrying a big birthday cake, followed by my wife, children and dozens of our friends.
They were all singing Happy Birthday… and there I sat on the couch… naked.”
If I apply this theory with the fact that so many of my friends were virgins for more than a decade after they completed their high school… u have any idea what result I will get?
their IQ would be exceeding 300-400.. ( i wonder if it is possible, but the research paper says so.)
Till last year, I used to think this was the reason. but what do u think is the reason?
One of the paid sites wanted to do a credit card check. Since I was reluctant to share this info, i just came up with a number and typed it in. Incidentally, the system recognized that the number was fake even before i pressed the submit button.
Amazed, I checked out to find that the credit cards follow a Luhn Algorithm to preprocess the number before submitting it to the VISA/MaterCard/Amex.
A husband and wife are watching “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire,” and the husband winks and says, “Honey, let’s go upstairs…”
The wife says no, so the husband asks again. Again she says no.
So the husband says, “Is that your final answer?” The wife says yes.
The husband says, “Well, can I phone a friend?”