Let me highlight our achievements 4000 years ago:
1) We had town planning. The city was laid out in a perfect grid pattern.
2) We had broad straight roads, which criss crossed each other at 90 degrees… with rounded corners to ease the traffic.
3) They had footpaths to reduce man-vehicle conflict.
4) We had sewerage system and drainage system.
5) We had water supply system, we had baths.
Indeed Indus Valley/Harappa Civilization was one of the finest achievements of Indians.
While I was boasting this, my friend asked me a question:
“Why do you Indians always talk about the Glorious Past? Aren’t there any recent developments that you guys want to share?”
I could not get his point. So he was kind enough to elaborate: If I meet someone who rants like:
“You know during my childhood, we used to have 5 cars”,
“We did not had small chests, but trunks full of gold and silver”,
“So many hundred people used to bow in each time we went to the market”,…..
What would you make out?
The guy is definitely a waster. He might have inherited a vast fortune, but he was a poor caretaker of his family legacy. Due to bad circumstances/habits, everything he values is squandered away and he is reduced to nothing. Additionally, the guy does not even dream about or has a plan to regain the heritage.
And that was his point… and I was speechless 🙁
1) Most Indian cities do not have a city planning. encroachment is like a norm.
2) Our Roads are a zig-zack lines joining a series of potholes.
3) Footpaths: I thought they were for the shops, motorcyclists.. I never saw a pedestrian using one.
4) I do not live in the slums, but my apartment complex does not have a sewerage system. We have a septic tank which we empty once in a month or so.
5) Water: everybody I know uses a pumpset.. either to suck the water from the pipe/borewell.
Now tell me, if I were you will I be talking about my present, my dreams/ambitions or my past?