I see Employee’s Provident Fund as just another financial instrument which invests primarily in debts and GoI backed bonds. Looking at the size and the magnitude of its corpus, all I can say is that its high time that there should be some accountability, transparency and professional management in this fund.
1) This year when the interest rates are touching 10% (10.5% for some cooperative banks) why is it that the EPFO office can generate only 8.25% returns on the investment?
2) Where is the Government pissing away the 2% RoI? (10.5 – 8.5%) Why is the AMC (asset management fees a high 2% .. when even mutual funds are happy with 1.5%)
3) What special and unforeseen circumstances have forced the Provident Fund office to dip into the reserves to pay this year’s interest?
4) Three months back they asked everybody to fill the Social Security number forms… What happened to them?
5) When was the last time EPFO gave you the account statement?
The government forces the employees to shell out a major portion of the salary into this scheme and then bully the industry to match the employee’s contribution (which they happily take out of the employee’s pay packet). So we need some answers!