Reservations for forward classes
Reservations in India are pre-dominantly for the govt. jobs and University education and many organizations are demanding for reservations for forward class poor. My arguments against it are:
- Forward class constitutes 15% of the population. Even if 50% of the seats are reserved, 15% of the population has access to 50% of the postings. So creating a special sub-category will only distort the demography.
- A feudal oppression in society is rampant. Lower caste is denied their basic right of dignity. Reservation for forward caste will catapult the left out oppressors ahead, thus defeating the very cause of reservation.
- Education in India is really economical. Tuition fees are a couple of thousand, loans and scholarships are in abundance. Hardly will you find anyone working part-time to raise tuition fee and rarely anyone drops outs due to economic reasons. For the job, past economic condition is irrelevant as the pays are decent. One needs to be a real moron to not get selected even tough he belongs to so called creamy layer.
- When you give a poor SC/ST a job, university degree, you do not help an individual, but the whole community. He becomes a role model and enlightens his family, relatives and friends about reforms and dignity. However a poor forward class will try to fit himself with his peers and maybe practice caste system for recognition among his peers.
- Reservation for some-one whose parents do not know what education is, who works in adolescence earning bread for his younger sister and whose basic right to dignity is deprived makes sense. Someone who does not know what development is and has no access to knowledge or capital for benefit of those around needs up-liftment not a forward caste fellow.