I have seen this a lot of time. You make a new acquaintance, talk for a couple of minutes and then want to exchange contacts. But then you will realize that the other person is not carrying his/her visiting cards. Its not the other person does not wish to exchange the number, because he/she does take down my number and give me a missed call…. but they (esp the girls) simply never ever felt the need to carry heir business cards…. Is it because i am outdated and in today’s world they r no longer relevant?
I prefer business card because:
1) A typical phone book can carry only 100-200 contacts, and just based on a 5 minute conversation i would not like to throw somebody out just to make space for you.
2) Exchanging emails r always tricky. You need to search around for a piece of paper and then a pen… it takes a lot of time and trouble. Won’t it be simple if you just pass on the rectangular piece of paper called visiting card where it is already printed.
3) If you do not wish to pass on your mobile/personal number, then its much more convenient to just pass on your visiting card where only your office desk number is listed (no more annoying sms) then to bluntly refuse divulging that info.
4) It looks much more professional and best part is that your employer will print it for free and makes sure you always have an ample supply of them.
5) If you are an entrepreneur, then it is a nice way to pass on a little advertisement and let your acquaintance at least know the name of your venture.